Bucatini Amatriciana Alla Romana
- Ready In:
- 70 -80 g bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- 400 g diced tomatoes
- black pepper, red crushed pepper or if you like it spicy crushed red pepper flakes
- 200 g of dry bucatini pasta
- pecorino romano cheese or if available aged pecorino romano cheese
- In a skillet sauté onion and garlic in a sufficient amount of olive oil.
- When they are well cooked, add the crumbled bacon and tomatoes, season with salt and pepper (or red pepper).
- *if you are using the tinned tomatoes, mush them up in small pieces.
- Bring to boil and cook for several minutes until the flavours are well blended and some of the extra liquid is evaporated.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta al dente, and drain.
- Toss the tomato mixture together with the pasta, serve with plenty of freshly grated cheese.
Join The Conversation
We absolutely loved this recipe. It was delicious. It was a fairly simple list of ingredients but came together great.We followed the recipe exactly. I could not find the bucatini pasta so we used linguine instead. We used fresh tomatoes. When we added the tomato mixture to the onion mixture I was afraid it was going to become too watery but I followed the directions and let it simmer a few minutes to blend the flavors. The freshly grated parmesan was the great finishing touch. Thank you for a great recipe!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My name is Licia, I have been living happily in Rome for 4+years now. My Roman partner Cristiano and I are both enthusiastic foodies, and we love cooking. We also enjoy experimenting with new international ingredients to broaden our culinary horizons, and I am still learning the wonderful world of authentic Italian cuisine every day!! Some of my other personal interests are physical fitness (which is a good thing to balance out my enthusiasm for good eating, lol!), graphic software (especially adobe photoshop), music, films, digital photography, animals (especially cats!) and travelling. As much as I adore sweet treats, all kind of cakes, I fare much less in the aspect of baking than other type of cooking. At times they come out good, other times not, for reasons unexplained... :-( I would love to learn much more about it though, and sooner or later perfect the art!! <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> (Susie, thanks for adopting me!!)