Chestnut and Bacon Risotto With Savoy Cabbage
- Ready In:
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 1⁄2 ounces side bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 4 celery ribs, finely diced
- 3⁄4 cup arborio rice
- 2 tablespoons dry vermouth
- 7 ounces cooked chestnuts
- 1 cup savoy cabbage, finely shredded
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Pour the chicken stock into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium saucepan.
- Add the bacon, onion and celery, cooking gently until the onion is translucent and the bacon is cooked.
- Add the rice and stir so that the rice becomes coated in the oil.
- Add the vermouth and stir until the rice has absorbed all the liquid.
- Now add a ladleful of stock and continue to stir until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Continue this process for 15 minutes, adding stock by the ladleful.
- Then add the chestnuts and cabbage and continue to cook, adding stock by the ladleful until all the rice is creamy but still has bite - about another 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the butter.
- Divide between serving bowls and pass the Parmesan cheese.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Superb recipe !!! I had to amend the amounts though, as I felt that the amount of rice was not enough to feed a family of four. No vermouth either, but white wine does the trick as well ! Taste-wise, the mixture of chestnuts and cabbage against the white backdrop of rice makes it look good and taste fabulous. Certainly a top-drawer recipe !
This was an amazing risotto. I made it last night, I didn't feel like cooking but this was such comfort food. I wasn't sure what the texture would be like with the chestnuts, but they give the risotto a lovely bite. I think this was great because it was simple & contained ingredients that complimented each other well. Thanks, I am going to make this as an entree (small portions) for my foodie friends next time they are over.