Cheesy Pasta Primavera
- 4 cups fusilli or 4 cups rotini pasta, uncooked (corkscrew pasta)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, unpeeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- salt & pepper, freshly ground
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in large saucepan over medium heat melt butter. Saute carrots in butter 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, onion, zucchini and mushrooms. Cook until tender.
- Stir in flour. Gradually stir in milk, whisking until smooth.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens.
- Remove from heat. Stir in Cheddar cheese, dry mustard, salt and pepper to taste. Stir in cooked pasta.
- Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was good. I used rotini and ended up putting yellow squash and carrots in as the only veggies. I had the zucchini but accidentally sliced up the squash instead so decided to just go with it! Didn't have the garlic (just ran out!) or the onions and wouldn't have used the mushrooms if I had them anyway. Also, used regular cheese rather than the low-fat. So, despite all my modifications I did enjoy this meal! My kids of course ate the pasta and not the vegetables, but I would think that there are children out there who would eat their veggies if it were mixed with cheese sauce and noodles. And for those kids this would be a very nice recipe indeed!
I really, really liked this, but DH did not, but he doesn't like anything creamy. I made a few changes: realized at the last minute that I didn't have any milk, so I used 1 cup heavy cream, 1 cup water; used a splash of regular mustard as I could not find my dry mustard; could not find my fresh garlic, so I sprinkled garlic powder. Sounds like I made a lot of changes, but I really did not. I thought it was a tasty way to get myself to eat veggies (I hate veggies!)