Cheddar Beer Soup
photo by Nif_H
- Ready In:
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- Saute onion and celery until soft and transparent.
- Saute the diced carrots until tender but still a little crisp.
- Place sauteed vegetables in a large stockpot or Dutch oven; add chicken stock. Place over medium heat.
- Combine Cheddar cheese with flour; stir mixture slowly into hot broth.
- Add Tabasco, dry mustard, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Add beer; heat through and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Amazing soup. So rich and thick! I did not use celery, but added new white potatoes (cooked them first and cut up into smll pieces) I used Coors light beer. I added more worchester sauce and extra dry mustard and a bit of hot pepper juice (I didn't have tabasco). Reviews said that this soup was a bit watery, so I added about 5c broth, rather than 6. Soup turned out lovely and thick and delicious.
see 3 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am the mother of two beautiful boys. I love to bake and cook which has helped me to become very overweight. I have lost 50 pounds this past year and have been learning to cook "lighter". We still enjoy many of the same dishes we used to. However, I have learned portion control and how to make suttle changes to my recipes that don't affect the flavor.