Challah Bread (Bread Machine)
photo by Chocolatl
- Ready In:
- 1 pinch saffron thread
- 1 tablespoon water, boiling
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2⁄3 cup hot water (100F-105F)
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups white bread flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast
- 1 egg, beaten for brushing over
- In a small bowl, soak the saffron threads in the 1 tablespoon of boiling water for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, place the beaten eggs, honey, hot water and melted butter in a bowl. Mix well.
- Add the saffron threads with the soaking water, stir and pour the mixture into the baking pan of your bread machine.
- Mix the salt into the flour and add to the baking pan and spoon the yeast on top.
- Set the program to 'DOUGH.'.
- When the dough is ready (mine takes 90 minutes), transfer it to a lightly floured surface and knead it for 2-3 minutes. (The dough will feel quite soft and silky.).
- Shape the dough into 3 equal-sized pieces, then roll each piece into a sausage shape measuring approximately 12 inches in length.
- Pinch the top end of each length of dough together, then weave the pieces into a braid/plait.
- Pinch the bottom ends together, then tuck both ends under the dough to form a neatly braided loaf.
- Place the dough on a greased baking sheet, brush with oil, cover with plastic wrap/cling film and leave it to rise/prove in a warm place.
- Preheat the oven 220C/425°F.
- When the dough has nearly doubled in size, remove the plastic wrap and lightly brush the top of the loaf with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Transfer the loaf to a wire rack and leave it to cool before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Yummy! This was my first time doing a braided loaf. I'm proud of me :) I like this bread cause it tastes egg breads. I'll do it again and again. It's delicious as a fresh slice with butter and toasted with butter :P Thanks CQ :) Made for Market tag. Edit : Feb 25, 2008, I've been making this bread 2-3 more times but without adding the saffron, but I use the 1 tbs of water. It's really good.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<img src=http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p241/CulinaryQueen/thhelloicon.gif> UPDATED: 15 Aug 2007 Hi! Thanks for taking a peek at my page! I'm formally from East Norriton, PA, a suburb of Philadelphia. After 21 years of marriage, got divorced and met a Brit living in the U.S. He decided to come back to his homeland and I came over here about a year later. We were married in October 2005. Here I am down at Viking Bay which is only two miles from our house. My hubby grew up down here and I love living near the seaside. <img src=http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p241/CulinaryQueen/rosebud.gif> <img src=http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p241/CulinaryQueen/love_123.gif> We adopted two rescue cats in May 2007 and now I have some company during the day! (Yeah sure, great company they are when they sleep all day!) Our two 'children'... Noddy (Lord of Nottingham) <img src=http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p241/CulinaryQueen/if_cats_talk.gif> <img src=http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p241/CulinaryQueen/Kitty%20Kats/NoddyinCabinet.jpg> Alfie (Sir Alfred) <img src=http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p241/CulinaryQueen/cat.gif> <img src=http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p241/CulinaryQueen/Kitty%20Kats/Alfieawww.jpg> I really have it made I think. I have a husband who can cook! I cook during the week and Peter cooks on the weekends. I have included some of his concoctions in my list of recipes. <img src=http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p241/CulinaryQueen/condimen.gif> Me at the Scotland border, August 2005 <img src=http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p241/CulinaryQueen/Places%20we%20have%20been/19Scotland.jpg> I'm still unemployed which gives me plenty of time to experiment in the kitchen. I love to cook and try different things and 'Zaar has really helped in that aspect. I'd love to start my own business someday selling some of my homemade creations. <img src=http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p241/CulinaryQueen/i_want_it_all.gif> <img src=http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p241/CulinaryQueen/give_me_chocolate_or.gif> <img src=http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p241/CulinaryQueen/zaargroupie.gif> I'm a Betty Boop freak and have loads of stuff that I've collected over the years including a porcelain doll of her in a wedding dress and I even have her tattooed on my ankle. <img src=http://www.gifszone.com/"><img border="0" src="http://www.gifszone.com/content/icon/cartoon/cartoon_10.gif"> ~~~~~~~<img src=http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p241/CulinaryQueen/bettyboop36.gif> I enjoy doing cross stitch, cooking, baking and entertaining and hubby and I love our wines! Some of my pet peeves are bad hygiene, rudeness, bad manners, laziness and people who litter. My favorite cookbook is my Betty Crocker Cookybook. I've had a copy since I was about 12 and it was falling apart. My brother got me a new copy a couple of years ago from ebay and it was a FIRST EDITION and was in excellent condition. Now that I'm here in England, I find myself collecting more cookbooks. I'm going to need another room just for them if I don't cut down a bit! <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"><img src=http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p241/CulinaryQueen/samethingsticker.jpg> <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1535/CLC1.gif"><img src=http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p241/CulinaryQueen/RegSwap1-1.jpg> <img src="http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e347/Saturn6666/KiwiDutch/3chefstag1.jpg"><img src="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f249/Dreamgoddess555/Narrow1-1.jpg"><img src="http://www.pickle.com/plink/ph/795B07337A4704307B51032E7D5E0237795A1C512307476E143E5A652E076C34725B06357F500533140741682C4659712C.jpg" border="0" alt="adoptatagparticipant" title="Photo and Video Sharing"/> <img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/cookbookswap.jpg> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Drink-Challenge.jpg"> <img src=http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p241/CulinaryQueen/DrinkChallenge.jpg> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"><img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/smPACp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://www.tinycounter.com" target="_blank" title="web site hit counter"><img border="0" alt="web site hit counter" src="http://mycounter.tinycounter.com/index.php?user=CulinaryQueen"></a>