Chai ( from Moosewood Restaurant New Classics)
Flavorful hot drink and also works with Bergy's Iced Chai Yum!
- Ready In:
- 3 cups water
- 1 inch piece fresh gingerroot, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom seed
- 6 -8 whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons black tea leaves (or your favorite tea) or 2 tea bags (or your favorite tea)
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- use mild honey or sugar, to sweeten
- In a medium saucepan,boil the water and spices until the liquid has reduced to 2 cups,10-15 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the tea-and steep for 4 to 5 minutes. Strain the tea and discard the leaves and spices,and return the tea to the saucepan. Add the milk and heat to boiling. Add sweetener to taste and serve.
- (total time 20 minutes).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I enjoyed this chai tea very much, Makwa. I slightly crushed and bruised the cardamom seeds, fennel seeds, whole cloves, sliced ginger and the peppercorns with my motar and pestle before using. I used oloong tea and orange blossom honey but omitted the milk, its a personal preference only. I find that honey always enhances the flavour of the tea by bringing out all the individual flavours. Thanks so much for sharing.Reply
I have been on a huge chai tea kick lately and have been sampling all that zaar has to offer. This was a nice mild tea and I definitely like the addition of ginger (which I doubled and am glad that I did) - it gives it a nice flavour. I also like the fennel seeds but think overall it was missing that oomph that you normally get in an indian restaurant. Thanks for posting!Reply
see 2 more