Caribbean Shrimp and Vegetable Soup
A very colorful, aromatic, delicious soup.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 chopped fresh green chili pepper
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups vegetable stock (homemade or canned)
- 1 cup peeled and diced sweet potato
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 cup diced red bell peppers or 1 cup yellow bell pepper
- 12 ounces fresh small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 cup coconut milk (low-fat or regular)
- salt and pepper
- Add onions, garlic, chile, ginger root, and oil to a large soup pot.
- Cover and saute on medium heat for 5 minutes or until the onions start to get soft.
- Add in the turmeric and thyme; stir and continue to saute for 5 minutes or until the onions are clear.
- Add in the stock and sweet potatoes; cover and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, keep covered, and simmer 3-4 minutes or until the potatoes are just tender.
- Add in the tomatoes and bell peppers; simmer 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the shrimp, cilantro, lime juice, and coconut milk; simmer until the shrimp turn pink.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper; serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION