Cardamom Rice Pilaf
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
In 'Around My French Table' by Dorie Greenspan
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- seeds from 7 cardamom pod, bruised
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, such as basmati
- 2 2 cups vegetable broth or 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- fresh ground pepper
- Put a medium saucepan over low heat and pour in the oil.
- When it is hot, add the onion and cardamom seeds and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes, until the onion is translucent and everything is nicely coated with oil.
- Increase the heat to medium; add in the rice, and cook and stir until it is warmed through and it, too, is glossy with oil, another minute or so.
- Increase the heat, pour in the broth or water; stand back, it may sputter; stir, and bring to a boil.
- Toss in the lemon zest, season with salt and pepper, and give everything a last stir.
- Decrease heat, cover, and cook the rice until it is tender and has absorbed all (or almost all) of the liquid, 10-15 minutes, depending of the rice you've used.
- Remove the pan from heat and let the rice sit for 2 minutes before fluffing it with a fork and serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION