Caramel Banana Cupcakes
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk, plus
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) bag soft caramels, such as Werther's Original Chewy
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line 18 cups of 2 standard 12-cup muffin pans with baking liners. In a large bowl, beat 1 stick butter with 1 cup granulated sugar until fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add 3/4 cup bananas, the baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt and beat until smooth. Stir in 1 cup flour. Mix in 6 tablespoons milk and the remaining 3/4 cup flour until smooth.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites at medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually mix in the remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar at high speed until stiff and glossy. Fold the egg whites into the batter until no streaks remain.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pans, filling each liner three-quarters full. Cut 9 caramels in half, and submerge one piece in each muffin cup of batter. Bake until the cupcakes are springy to the touch, about 25 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small, heavy saucepan, cook the remaining caramels, 1/4 cup milk, 1/4 cup banana and 1/4 teaspoon salt over medium heat, stirring, until the caramels are melted.
- Using the electric mixer, beat the egg yolks and confectioners' sugar until thick, about 3 minutes. Slowly beat in the caramel mixture; transfer the mixture to the saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly for about 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until cool.
- Using the electric mixer, beat the remaining 2 sticks butter at high speed until fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the cooled caramel mixture, then beat at high speed until fluffy. Spread the frosting onto the cupcakes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
While these are not the best banana cupcakes I have made they are very good and the caramel is a nice surprise treat. I do prefer my banana muffins a bit darker. These are quite white when baked. I wasn't able to get caramels so I used chocolate covered caramels which were fine but I didn't have any to make the frosting. I am sure the frosting is what really makes these muffins. I found the ingredients/instructions to be very difficult to follow. It would be so much easier to follow if the ingredients for the muffins were separated from the ingredients for the frosting. I was constantly double checking and feeling a bit frustrated. I may try this concept again but I will use a different muffin recipe. I will, however, use the frosting part of this recipe. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I've loved cooking and baking for as long as I can remember. I've really gotten into it more in the past few years. It's just my husband and I so I can't do all the cooking I would like though. <br /><br /><br /><a title=PaperBackSwap.com - Book Club to Swap, Trade & Exchange Books for Free. href=http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php?n=12&r_by=Shelby><img src=http://www.paperbackswap.com/images/icons/weblog_icon_600_120_2.gif alt=PaperBackSwap.com - Book Club to Swap, Trade & Exchange Books for Free. width=600 height=120 /></a> <br /><br />I love to watch tv & movies, go out with friends, read, write letters and spend time with my husband & family. I have some of the most amazing friends a girl could ask for, and a family that is just as great. <br /><br />All of my recipes posted are either ones I've tried or ones that I want to try. I don't post things that I don't think I'd like. (However, the list of foods I don't like keeps getting smaller and smaller thanks to this site!) <br /><br />I love to play the tag games here, as you can see from the banners below. I've really enjoyed Photo Tag. It's been fun to see how my photos have slowly gotten better and my techniques have improved. <br /><br />I'm so thankful I found this site. I have met so many amazing people that have become a part of my life. Hopefully someday I can meet some of you in person! <br /><br />Thanks to all who have given me all of the great reviews and photos on my recipes. It's always so exciting to log in and see I have Z-mail & reviews. <br /><br /><br /><a href=http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh281/ShelbyNeuzil/?action=view?t=ShelbyAMBadge.jpg target=_blank><img src=http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh281/ShelbyNeuzil/ShelbyAMBadge.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></a> <br /><br /><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg alt= /> <br /><br /><a href=http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t237/akplongmeadow/?action=view?t=tag.jpg target=_blank><img src=http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t237/akplongmeadow/tag.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></a> <br /><br /><br /><img src=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/pt-shutterbug-banner-1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/Sharon123/Copyoftag300-banner.jpg border=0 alt=Susie's Banner for Newest Zaar Tag /> <br /><img src=http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i25/bayhill/footballpool-1.jpg alt= /> <br /><br /><a href=http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/tjschul/?action=view?t=123hitwonders.jpg target=_blank><img src=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/tjschul/123hitwonders.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></a> <br /><br /><img src=http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/1234HitAMPage_Size1.png alt= /> <br /><br /><a href=http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh281/ShelbyNeuzil/?action=view?t=Elves-appreciationSTICKER.jpg target=_blank><img src=http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh281/ShelbyNeuzil/Elves-appreciationSTICKER.jpg border=0 alt=Elves Cook-A-Thon /></a> <br /><br /><br /><img src=http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/4902/41213577264b44m3kh4.png alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/chefpaulag/banners/cookathonLorac-1.jpg alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u208/diner_photos/lazymecookathon.jpg alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><br /><a href=http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh281/ShelbyNeuzil/?action=view?t=PRMRcopy.jpg target=_blank><img src=http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh281/ShelbyNeuzil/PRMRcopy.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></a> <br /><br /><a href=http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh281/ShelbyNeuzil/?action=view?t=TasteofYellowSTICKER.jpg target=_blank><img src=http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh281/ShelbyNeuzil/TasteofYellowSTICKER.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></a> <br /><br /><img src=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/CookathonforKarensticker.jpg alt= /> <br /><br /><br /><img src=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/KBparticipation.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></p> <p><a style=height: 20px; width: 40px; position: absolute; opacity: 0.85; z-index: 8675309; display: none; cursor: pointer; border: medium none; background-image: url("data; href=http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/></a></p>