Cake and Cannoli Custard Cream Filling
very good cream filling.. Note: I also made this with using only 250 ml of Nurti Whip and it turns out a little heavier but is great believe me..this is a three for one recipe here..as you can also use the filling without the nutri whip too with good tasting results. Use this filling for tarts, cream puffs, or cakes and although not a traditional cannoli filling its great in those too. Nutri Whip is a Canadian Product, it is similar to Rich's Ready to Whip Topping. It is liquid and needs to be beaten just like whipping cream, without sugar added.
- Ready In:
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (106 g) package instant lemon pudding mix
- 1 (500 ml) container nutri whipped topping
- 1 dash salt
- Combine sugar, flour and salt in a pot.
- Whisk to combine well.
- Add milk gradually to get no lumps.
- Stir over medium heat until it thickens and comes to a low boil, about 10 minutes.
- Beat yolks in a bowl.
- Add some hot mixture into the bowl just a little to bring to a warm temperature.
- Add all back into the pot of mixture on the stove and continue to low cook until thick, do not boil.
- Remove and blend in the vanilla and pkg of dry pudding mix.
- Stir well until blended.
- Cool two hours, covered with saran (not to get a skin on top) or until cold.
- Beat nutri whip and then fold into the cold custard.
- Blending well, the cold mixture is hard to fold in( as it has set to a thick custard) so using beaters low speed is also good results.
- Fill cannoli-- or filling and topping for cakes.this should be stored in the refrigerator, because of the Nutri whip topping.
- I have never made this with reg. whipping cream, always Nurti Whip.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
The filling was OK but as an Italian American the name bugged me. I suppose you can put anything your heart desires in a cannoli, but to actually call it Cannoli filling for most Italians it has to have ricotta and chocolate chips in it, in New York it tends to have a mild taste of cinnamon as well. Extras are citron or candied orange peel. In areas where ricotta his very expensive I have seen Italian pastisseria cream substituted. However never in my life have I ever seen a lemon cannoli! I think the photo of the cake that was posted with it added to my confusion. Without the traditional cannoli ricotta filling in it why is it not just a lemon cake? My grandmother rest her soul would have laughed. I enjoy most of Andy's recipes, but calling this cannoli filling was just too far fetched for me.2Reply
Nice light lemony taste. I mixed the custard with the whip topping in my mix master since I couldn't blend properly, it came out a little runny but was wonderful once we gave it sometime to firm up in the fridge. I used this filling with Angel food cake, and it was amazing! Next time, I will add some fresh strawberries ontop and it will be splendido!1Reply