Cabbage Soup (With a Kick!)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 large head of cabbage
- 2 quarts beef stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 lb sausage (I prefer Kielbasa) or 1 lb kielbasa (I prefer Kielbasa)
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes (To kick it up use Rotel or tomatoes with green chiles)
- 2 cups potatoes, diced (I used canned)
- fresh ground pepper
- sour cream (to garnish)
- Slice cabbage into quarters then chop removing the hard center.
- Bring beef stock to a simmer while preparing the vegetables.
- In a large skillet melt the butter, add onions, carrots and celery. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes until the veggies are about tender.
- Turn the veggies into the stock pot and add salt, bay leaf and dill weed. Bring to a simmer for about 20 minutes.
- In the same skillet used for veggies, brown the kielbasa or sausage.
- Add the kielbasa, parsley, diced tomatoes and potatoes and continue to simmer an additional 20 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, bring to a boil and then simmer another 4-5 minutes.
- Serve hot with fresh ground pepper and a dallop of sour cream (YUM!)Keep warm in crock pot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!