Ca Chien (Crispy Red Snapper With Spicy Tomato Sauce)
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (I used peanut oil)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 small red chilies, minced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (nuoc mam)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons scallions, chopped
- 1 red snapper, cleaned, scaled
- In a medium skillet over high heat, heat the oil until hot.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high and add the garlic.
- Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato and chiles and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the sugar, fish sauce and water.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened (about 3 minutes).
- Remove the sauce from the heat and set aside.
- In a large skillet heat about 1/2 inch of oil.
- Lay the snapper in carefully and cook over moderately high heat, without moving, until very brown and crusty (about 14 minutes).
- Turn the fish and cook the other side (about 10 minutes.).
- Drain the snapper on paper towels.
- To server, put the fish on a platter, pour sauce over it, and using a large fork lift the meat with the skin from the bones.
- Turn the fish over and do the same.
- Serve with steamed rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!