Buttery Skor Bars
photo by Engrossed
- Ready In:
16 (2-inch) squares
- Set oven to 300 degrees (oven rack to lowest position).
- Prepare an ungreased 8-inch square baking pan.
- Coarsley chop 1 chocolate bar into about 1/4-inch pieces; set remaining chocolate bar aside.
- In a medium bowl using an electric mixer beat butter until smooth.
- Gradually beat in icing sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in vanilla and salt.
- Using a wooden spoon stir in 1 cup flour JUST until mixed.
- Stir in the remaining 1/4 cup flour with the chopped Skor bar pieces just until mixed.
- Place the mixture into prepared baking pan, using lightly-floured fingers, pat mixture into an even thickness.
- Using a fork pierce the dough all over.
- Finely chop the remaining Skor bar then sprinkle over the dough.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes (300 degrees) until edges are deep golden and center is pale golden.
- Remove from oven and immediately cut into 2-inch squares.
- Cool completely in the pan.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These DID turn out for me texture wise. They held together and were a crisp melt in your mouth shortbread. The only disappointment was the bland flavor. I think with some work...perhaps using brown sugar these would be wonderful. I made mine with my pastry blender which is better for shortbreads because you don't want to overmix them. When making shortbread you have to be sure to press it firmly into the pan and then really prick the top all over so it rises evenly. Then make sure to cut it while it's still hot so it won't crumble on you...but still let it cool in the pan before lifting out the pieces. Also you never want to overcook it or it will crumble on you. Mine baked on the middle rack for 35 minutes. Made for 1-2-3 hit wonders.
I really hate to give such a low rating for this recipe, but this recipe just didn't work. Is the recipe posted correctly or maybe has an ingredient been omitted? I followed it to the letter (except I used Heath bars because I couldn't find Skor) and I was really excited because I LOVE Heath and Skor. As I was making the batter, I kept thinking that something was missing--it just didn't look or feel right. Well, at 40 minutes, they were far from done, so I cooked 10 more minutes at 300, then cooked 5 more minutes at 325. After cooling, they couldn't even be lifted out of the dish--they just crumbled to pieces. They taste very much like greasy flour, with a bite of toffee from time to time. If the recipe is not correct, please let me know so I can try again.