Butterscotch Crumb Muffins
photo by Andi the grate
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup butter flavor shortening, cold
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and position oven rack in center of the oven. Line muffin tins with papers.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and brown sugar until no lumps remain.
- Add shortening and cut in until the mix resembles coarse crumbs.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the flour/sugar/shortening mix and set aside to use as the crumb topping.
- To the remaining flour/sugar mix, add baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Using a fork, combine well.
- Add buttermilk and beaten eggs.
- Using a large spoon, mix just until flour is moistened, it will be lumpy.
- Fold in butterscotch chips.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Sprinkle tops with about 1 teaspoon of reserved crumb topping mixture and gently tamp down into batter.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until they test done with a toothpick.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm actually a Botanist pretending to be an Analytical Chemist. I like to cook but I really don't do it very often. But every once in a while I love to make an extravagant meal for my friends and family.