Plum Jam Recipe - A
photo by Bonnie G #2
- Ready In:
- Place plums, water, lemon juice, and butter in a large non-aluminum stockpot.
- Stirring often, bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fruit is soft.
- You should end up with about 4-1/2 cups.
- Stir in sugar. Return heat to high and bring back to a rolling boil while constantly stirring.
- Add pectin and return to a boil while stirring.
- Continue to stir and boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat.
- Let rest for 1 minute, then skim off any foam.
- Pour even amounts into sterilized jars, leaving 1/8-inch of space at the top.
- Wipe rims and seal with sterilized lids.
- Process in boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove, let cool, and label jars.
- Store plum jam in a cool, dry place.
- FOR SUGAR FREE VERSION: follow directions on No Sugar Added Pectin box.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I'm not rating this with stars because I'm sure the problems I had with it is my own fault. It just did not work for me; don't know what I did wrong but I am new to canning so it could be anything. I made this twice - and thought I'd followed the directions exactly but when it finished (sealed fine) it was more like a syrup than a jam and extremely sweet. We could not eat it. I'm thinking I might need to add more fruit but I did weigh it - just not sure what I did wrong.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Click to feed animals I'm a retired teacher now living in the Jamaica Plain area of Boston. I have one daughter, 2 granddaughters, and 1 great-grandson(17 yo Dec '11)! I've travelled a bit throughout Europe and the U.S. as well as Honduras and Costa Rica. I think I may have some gypsy ancestors! I love to travel but am not able to anymore. So I do a LOT of reading instead. My current craft passion is knittng but I have dabbled in just about everything. I've done leaded glass work(stained glass), which I love; am working on counted cross stitch; and am willing to try any craft, at least once! I've also worked for a major insurance company as a case analyst. I have 2 cats, Teddy BB 11 .o. on the 19th of Feb, and CiCi who will be 5 years old on Mar 6th. src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/orn.jpg></p>