Broccolini With Creamy Lemon Sauce
A broccoli recipe for those who thought they hated broccoli. Brocconlini is sweeter and milder tasting than mature broccoli. Found this jewel of a recipe in my March 2003 Better Homes and Garden magazine. Fresh asparagus, pea pods or romanesco would make excellent substitutes for the broccolini. Mascarpone is available at Trader Joe's and well-stocked grocery stores.
- Ready In:
- 1 lb Broccolini ("baby broccoli")
- 2 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh marjoram (original recipe called for thyme)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon peel, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boiling. Cook the broccolini until crisp-tender, approximately 5-7 minutes. (For asparagus: 3-5 minutes; pea pods: 2-4 minutes; romanesco: 7-8 minutes.).
- Drain well.
- To make the lemon sauce, in a small bowl combine the mascarpone cheese, sour cream, milk, marjoram, lemon peel and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the cooked broccolini to a serving platter. Spoon the lemon sauce over the vegetables. Garnish with a marjoram sprig.
- Serve warm.