Broccoli & Cheese Pasta Toss
photo by Derf2440
- Ready In:
- 3 cups dried penne or 3 cups fusilli (about 1/2 package)
- 1 broccoli
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil.
- Add pasta and cook according to package directions, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut stems from broccoli.
- Peel, then slice into thin rounds.
- Slice sun-dried tomatoes into thin strips.
- Mince garlic.
- Place cheese in a large bowl.
- Stir in sun-dried tomatoes and garlic.
- When pasta has cooked 8 minutes, add broccoli stems and florets.
- Cook until bright green and tender, about 2 minutes.
- Ladle out about 1/2 cup pasta water and save.
- Drain pasta and broccoli, then return to saucepan.
- Place saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Stir cheese mixture and pasta water until cheese melts and noodles are evenly coated, about 1 minute.
- Taste, then add salt and pepper if you like.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I love this and so do my kids. We've made it three or four times in the last month. Faster and easier than the packaged noodles and sauce...and it tastes so much better. The one thing I did eventually do was saute the garlic in 1 T. of butter before mixing everything else to cook the raw flavor out of it. Aside from that, spectacular as written. Thanks for a great recipe!
Well, we are definately pasta lovers here and this dish was great. I cut in 1/2 exactly and it was plenty for a side dish for the 3 of us. I suppose you could use any cheese for this dish, next time and there will be a definate next time, I think I'll try it with Asiago. Thanks for a very tasty and simple dish!
see 1 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love to cook!! This is my #1 favorite recipe site. Everyone is so friendly and the recipes are fantastic! I live in Ontario, Canada with my husband and our new little baby girl. We are both stay at home parents as our motel business is attached to our house. We recently turned Vegan and have been experimenting with lots of different meat substitute recipes (seitan, TVP etc).