Bread Machine Whole Spelt Bread
photo by WuhanNoodle
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 5mins
- 1 1⁄4 cups water, lukewarm
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into 4-6 bits
- 3 cups spelt flour, organic
- 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed light brown
- 1 teaspoon bread machine yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bread machine yeast
- flax seed
- sunflower seeds, raw
- 1⁄2 cup spelt flour, for kneading and shaping
- Insert all items into bread machine starting with the first listed ingredient and ending with the yeast or seeds/nuts. Keep the extra spelt for kneading it into the loaf shape of your choice.
- Set machine to dough cycle (1.5 hours for me).
- When it finishes, powder your hands with the extra spelt flour and grab the dough.
- Shape it into a loaf shape, using extra spelt as necessary to shape.
- Place in a greased loaf pan.
- Turn your oven to the lowest temperature for two minutes. Then shut it off and place your loaf in there.
- Let rise for about 35 minutes. It'll maybe not look too tall, but don't worry. It should have at least grown by 50%.
- Turn oven on to 375 degrees. Bake for 35 minutes (don't worry about preheat time. Those 8 minutes are included when I did it).
- Bread should be pretty much done, but let it slide out of loaf pan and cook on wire rack in oven for 10 more minutes at 300 degrees.
- When done, let it cool for ten minutes. You can avoid the urge to start eating by getting coffee going.
- Enjoy, with or without coffee.
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!