Bread Machine Honey Whole Wheat Challah
We make this every week in our house. People keep asking for the recipe -- we think they're impressed to find a healthy challah that also tastes great! It resembles actual bread more than cake. Just throw the ingredients into a bread machine with a "dough" cycle, braid, & bake!
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (this is equivalent to 1/6 cup)
- 3 tablespoons honey (measure using the same spoon as the olive oil so it doesn't stick!)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 3⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast (or one 1/4 oz. packet)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 additional egg (optional)
- sesame seeds (optional)
- Add water, eggs, olive oil, honey, sugar, and flour to the bread machine bowl in that order.
- Make a well on top of the flour mound and add the yeast.
- Add salt along the side of the flour mound.
- Set your bread maker to run a "dough" cycle.
- Remove dough and braid challah (this is the fun part! See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0kf0MFRpXg for instructions.).
- (Optional) For a professional look, coat the braided challah with egg using a basting brush, and sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Bake at 325 F for 30-40 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I've read that a tablespoon of orange juice in the batter when using whole wheat flour cuts the harsher taste of whole wheat. I've used half white and half whole wheat. I'm also making a round challah for the New Year with raisins and plan to use this recipe. When shaping, instead of a braided challah, I make a rope and use a 10 inch spring form pan. Turns out excellent.Reply