- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat bran
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed, ground
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups bananas, mashed
- 3⁄4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9" x 5" loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, bran, flaxseed, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the bananas, yogurt, eggs, butter and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
- Fold in the nuts and chocolate chips, being careful not to overmix the batter.
- Spoon into the prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and store at room temperature.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I just took this bread out of the oven and tried a slice and it is amazing!! I made a few minor changes: used 3/4 cup whole wheat flour + 3/4 cup white flour, half sugar and half splenda, smart balance margarine instead of butter, no walnuts, and only a few chocolate chips plus some cinnamon chips. Thank you so much for posting this recipe! It is the best (and healthiest) banana bread I've ever had!!
I have made this one more times than I can count. It always gets such compliments that I usually do not bother to tell people its good for them! I have done it with the nutri-blend and with the wheat bran both are good, not much difference and with the bananas in it nobody usually notices the flax either! The only change I make is that I do not include the nuts, more out of personal preference than anything else. Thanks for a yummy lowfat banana bread.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live with my husband, four cats, and a sweet mutt named Jada in Scarborough, Ontario, where I work as an elementary school administrative assistant. I have a 31 year old daughter who lives with her boyfriend in nearby Don Mills, along with my sweet granddogs, Frankie and Turbo. I would have to say that my passion is animals, since I have so many of them! <br /><img src=http://images.quizilla.com/H/h0t5auce/1108834307_brown_answer.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/532663/cookswithcattitude.JPG alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r271/copperhorse58/CalendarGirlsSwap2009.jpg alt= /> <br /><br />If I had a month off work to do what I please, I would first catch up on my sleep and then just have fun - see a few movies and maybe take a couple of short trips - something that wouldn't break the bank - lol!</p>