- Ready In:
- 6hrs 40mins
- 4 cups frozen blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water, warm if using frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons dry tapioca
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- In a 31/2 quart slow cooker, combine blueberries, the 1/2 cup granulated sugar, the water and tapioca. Cover and slow-cook until the berries have formed a thick sauce, 5 to 6 hours on low.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, the remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, baking powder and salt to combine. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembled coarse meal.
- In small bowl, beat milk and egg together.
- Stir into flour mixture to form a soft dough.
- Turn the slow-cooker to high.
- Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls on top of the blueberries.
- Cover and slow-cook until the topping is firm and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the dumplings with the brown sugar.
- Let the grunt stand for 5 minutes before serving, then spoon into individual bowls.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Made this for my husband and he enjoyed it through the week. It was easy enough to make, I used half fresh and half frozen berries. I found that I really had to squeeze in the dumplings on top but it worked. We wondered why it is called "grunt" but figured it was because he kept grunting with satisfaction when he ate it!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Iam a mommy to a sweet little 14 month old girl...which doesn't leave me much time to bake and cook like I used to, but I still do from time to time...lol when I have the extra energy left from running around after her all day! I LOVE to bake....not as much cooking but I have a big sweet tooth..as do some of my family-good since I used to bake so much!