Blue Cheese Broiled Tomatoes
- Ready In:
- Cut stems off tomatoes and cut each tomato into 2 think slices (in half).
- Put on broiler rack.
- Combine sugar, basil, salt and pepper and sprinkle little of mixture on each tomato slice.
- Add bread crumbs to melted butter and toss lightly with a fork.
- Add blue cheese and toss again lightly.
- Spoon on tomato slices and slip under broiler until crumbs are nicely browned, about 1 minute.
- Serve Immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I wanted a quick supper, and not having fresh bread crumbs or wanting to try to make some I made this my way. Spread butter on 2 slices of sourdough bread, top with tomatoes,salt,pepper then cheese. I broiled until cheese melted and bread was crisp. I will be making this often or until I am out of garden tomatoes. Thanks for the recipe.
I enjoyed this inspirational recipe. I did make a few changes, though. I used garlic and herb infused olive oil instead of butter. I also used feta cheese instead of blue. I bet goat cheese would be good, too! Broiling 1 minute left my tomatoes still hard and crumbs barely toasted, so I did 3 minutes under the broiler and then baked them at 375 for 5 minutes to soften the tomatoes. Thank you for a tempting recipe. It was a delicious lunch.
Wow, are these fantastic! I made these as a New Year's Eve appetizer, and we couldn't stop eating them! I added some extra black pepper and cut down on the salt a little, but other than that, I followed the recipe exactly. Besides tasting great, it's very easy to prepare. I will definitely be making this again! Thanks, Leslie!