Black Pudding (Vegan)
A unique pudding that goes well with salad, taken from Linda Majzlik's 'A Vegan Taste of the Caribbean'
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 45mins
- 8 ounces black beans (cooked and mashed)
- 3 ounces mushrooms (chopped)
- 2 ounces oats (the kind used for porridge)
- 1 ounce textured vegetable protein
- 1 red onion (peeled and finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 4 ounces vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 tablespoon virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 tablespoon black pepper
- Add textured vegetable protein to the vegetable stock, cover and leave for 1 hour.
- Gently fry the onion and garlic in the oil, until softened.
- Add the mushrooms, and fry until the juice begins to run, then remove from heat.
- Place the soacked textured vegetable protein in a sieve and press out any excess liquid, then add it to the pan together with the rest of the ingredients, and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into a non-stick 7 inch square pan. Press down firmly and evenly, cover and chill for 2 hours.
- Spray lightly with light olive oil, then bake at 400 for 35-40 minutes, until browned.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I think this has potential to be really good but next time will add either more oats or less stock. The mixture was very wet and even after 1 hour in the oven wasnt firm. I skipped the tamarind and added allspice and they flavours were really good so would go with that again but tweek the consistency. Omni hubby loved it!!Reply