Black-Eyed Pea Salsa / Relish
- Ready In:
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper (fresh is best)
- 4 stalks celery, finely chopped (leaves and bottom cut off)
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 jalapeno (optional)
- cilantro, chopped (to taste)
- 2 (12 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 8 ounces canned white corn, drained and rinsed
- 1. In a large bowl (because this makes a lot!), combine oil, vinegar, mustard, sugar, celery seed, salt, and pepper. Mix until well combined.
- 2. Add celery, green onions, bell pepper, cucumber, jalapeno, and cilantro. Mix into dressing until well covered.
- 3. Add the corn and peas (make sure the cans are drained and rinsed). Mix well.
- 4. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour, but it tastes better if you let it sit a little longer.
- I will use this as a topping for grilled chicken, or you can eat it like a dip (by serving it with corn-chips). I've even added twisty pasta to it and made it into a pasta salad. Enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!