Better Than Granny's, Maple Fried Chicken
photo by Capn Ron
- Ready In:
marinade or brine
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning, Butt Kickin' Blacken
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon TABASCO® brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce
- 6 chicken thighs
- 6 chicken legs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning, Butt Kickin' Blacken, to taste
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- Make the brine by combining all of the ingredients, and mixing well. Place the chicken in a plastic bag, add the marinade, and place in the refrigerator for about 8 hours, but at least 2 hours.
- Mix the flour and seasonings together in a large flat pan like a jelly roll pan (I use a half chafer pan 'cause of the high sides. Take the chicken out of the bag with tongs, lay in the flour mixture then turn over. Take 3 legs and 3 thighs out to coat with this flour mixture. Rub the flour into the chicken with your hands, don't shake off the excess and place in a pan to get ready for frying.
- Heat the oil to about 300°F in a black frying pan, and place the chicken in being careful not to splash the oil.
- Leave the chicken alone for 10 - 12 minutes. When you start to see some blood being forced out of the chicken (this means that the chicken is cooking), carefully turn them over. Leave another 10 - 12 minutes. The second side should be well colored.
- Take them out with tongs letting them drain back into the pan prior to placing on paper towels.
- To make a crispier chicken, change the way you flour the pieces. Get 3 bowls going. One with the seasoned flour, the next with beaten egg and milk, and the third with seasoned flour. Dredge the chicken in the seasoned flour, then the egg mixture, then the seasoned flour again.
- Serve while hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY