Best Ever Turkey Onion Sandwich
I made this sandwich up the other day - low calorie, *very low* in fat (1 gram), very rich tasting (really!), and tons of great taste! If you love onions, this is for you!
- Ready In:
- 2 slices light whole wheat bread
- 3 slices butterball fat free turkey
- 1⁄4 cup shredded fat free mozzarella cheese, the kroger store brand is great
- 1⁄2 cup white onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- 2 teaspoons fat-free Miracle Whip
- 1 teaspoon plain mustard
- I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! Spray
- Place the onions in a bowl and add a couple of teaspoons of water- I also like to add a boullion cube for extra flavor (+5 calories), but be careful with this if you're watching sodium.
- Cover with plastic wrap and nuke onions for about 3-5 minutes or until floppy.
- Meanwhile, spray one side of each slice of bread with the butter spray.
- Lay one piece spray-side down in a skillet and top with the cheese.
- You might want to add a squirt of spray over the cheese if the kind you use doesn't melt well.
- When the onions are done, take them out and spoon them over the cheese on the bread.
- Next, add the 3 slices of turkey.
- Spread the unsprayed side of the other slice of bread with the Miracle Whip (or fat free mayo) and the mustard.
- Place this slice on top- spray side up!
- Heat the skillet over medium heat, toasting the sandwich a couple of minutes on either side or until golden brown.
- When done, remove the sandwich, peel apart, stuff in the lettuce, smoosh back together, and CHOW DOWN!
- I included calorie and fat counts for every ingredient so that it will be easy to make substitutions and still know the exact nutritional information- I realize that not everyone loves onions as much as I do!
- Some other good ingredients are roasted bell peppers, mushrooms, tomato, or anything else you love!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This was very good! I did add a boullion cube for extra flavor, but next time I think I'll use half a cube, as I found the flavor of a whole cube to be a bit too intense. Other than that, the only other changes I made were to use regular ingredients (butter, regular bread, and mayo). I also added some tomato slices to the sandwich. Yummy!