Best Ever Spicy Oven-Fried Chicken - Southern
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 30mins
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 12 chicken pieces, with skin and bones (breasts, thighs and drumsticks)
- 1 cup dry unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Whisk buttermilk, oil, hot pepper sauce, mustard, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in large bowl to blend well. Add onion, then chicken and turn to coat.
- Cover, chill at least 3 hours or up to 1 day, turning chicken occasionally. I usually get a big gallon ziploc bag and place the marinade and chicken in the bag.
- Place racks on 2 large rimmed baking sheets.
- Whisk breadcrumbs, cheese, flour, thyme, paprika, cayenne and 1 teaspoon salt in large baking dish to blend.
- Remove chicken from marinade, allowing, excess to drip off. Add chicken to breadcrumb mixture and turn to coat completely.
- Arrange chicken, skin side up, on racks on baking sheets.
- Let stand 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F Drizzle butter over chicken.
- Place chicken in oven and bake until crisp, golden and cooked through about 50 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This was wonderful! All the house smelled amazing and the chicken was super tender! The combination of the coating ingredients was sooo tasty. I also coated some onion slices and placed on a baking mold; they were more than appreciated! Will do it for sure again, my family will remember me this recipe and ask me for a "BIS". Made for Culinary Quest 2014.
I let the chicken marinate for 24 hours before cooking. I believe it imparted flavor and tenderness. I used split chicken breasts, since we only like white meat. I thought the melted butter was not enough to crisp up the chicken, so I also sprayed it with butter-flavored non-stick cooking spray. Even though it was cooked on a rack, I was surprised that the bottom were a bit soggy. I thought keeping it out of the juices would avoid that. The coating is very tasty, and it the baking aroma was wonderful! I'm so glad I tried this. Made for Culinary Quest 2014.
We enjoyed this tasty chicken very much. It was nice and crispy on one side after cooking and a little wet on the other side. So I stuck it back into the oven to crisp up a bit more. The flavor is outstanding and the marinade made the chicken so tender and flavorful. Thanks for sharing. Made for Culinary Quest - Southern USA - for the Suitcase Gourmets.