Best Baked Apples
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 7 granny smith apples
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄3 cup apple cider
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Peel, core, and cut 1 apple into 1/4-inch dice.
- Combine 5 tbsp butter, brown sugar, cranberries, pecans, orange zest, oats, cinnamon, and diced apple in a large bowl; set aside.
- Shave a thin slice off the bottom of the remaining six apples so they sit flat. Cut top 1/2 inch off stem end of apples and reserve. Peel apples and use a melon baller or small measuring spoon to remove 1 2/-inch diameter core, being careful not to cut through the bottom of the apple.
- Melt remaining butter in 12-inch ovensafe skillet over medium heat. Once foaming subsides, add apples, stem-side down, and cook until cut surface is golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Flip apples, reduce heat to low, and spoon filling inside, mounding excess filling over cavities; top with reserved apple caps.
- Add maple syrup and 1/3 cup cider to skillet. Transfer skillet to oven, and bake 35-40 minutes, or until skewer inserted into apple meets little resistance. Baste even 10 minutes with maple syrup mixture in skillet.
- Transfer apples to serving platter. Stir up to 2 tbsp remaining cider into sauce to adjust consistency. Pour sauce over apples and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!