Beef Tenderloin With Rich Mushroom Gravy
- Ready In:
- 1 (4 lb) whole beef tenderloin, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1/2 cup water
- 12 ounces white mushrooms, cleaned and sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary (to garnish) (optional)
- Heat the oven to 500 degrees F. Rub the beef tenderloin with the olive oil and sprinkle with the pepper. Place diagonally on a 15-1/2 x 10-1/2-inch jelly roll pan, tucking the thin end under for even cooking.
- Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a meat thermometer inserted into the center of the thickest part registers 135 degrees F. for rare.
- Meanwhile, make the gravy: In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the flour and whisk for 2 to 4 minutes, or until a dark golden color.
- Slowly whisk in the broth and wine, then the mushrooms, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened.
- Remove the beef tenderloin from the oven, cover loosely with foil, and let stand for about 10 minutes, or until a meat thermometer registers 140 degrees F. The meat will continue cooking and the slicing will be easier.
- Slice 1/4-inch thick and arrange on a serving platter. Garnish with rosemary sprigs and serve with the mushroom gravy.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I've loved Zaar for many years and the great recipes I've found here. Back when I was working and the kids were little I was an okay cook who excelled only at a few family recipes. I began "surfing" on Zaar and started making so many wonderful fast and easy recipes. As they got older and I had more time, I began making more adventurous meals. Zaar's fabulous cooks have helped me every step of the way. Thanks to the Zaar family of cooks and the enthusiasm for cooking I developed through them, I'm now considered a good cook and develop many of my own recipes. When the kids were grown and I was no longer working, what started as a place to find new recipes turned into a community made up of varied and interesting people. After years as a "recipe surfer", I became a premium member in 2005 not only to start organizing recipes but also to participate even more in discussions, forum activities and having fun with new friends. I am hoping you enjoy the recipes I have posted and welcome comments. I try to thank everyone who reviews one of them, but if I "drop the ball" or if you can't receive Zmail, please know how much I appreciate you taking the time to make one of my recipes. I'm a dinosaur when it comes to taking digital photos of my recipes and getting them into my computer. Because of that, cyberhugs go out to anyone who takes the time to take/post pictures of my dishes in Zaar! I've had vision problems plus a retina disease called retinopathy prematuria since birth, but never let it stop me until the last few years when I had to quit driving becauser of it. I moved from "sweet home Chicago" to rural San Diego County, CA, in 2004 when my husband of 35 years retired. Sadly, we are not near our children and beautiful grandchildren, who live in Florida, Minnesota and Arizona. Zaar has helped the transition from moving from the city to the country and becoming an empty nester confined to home a little more bearable. I still love to read my grisly crime novels, play on the computer, and play blackjack at local casinos (within reason, of course??) Even though my old friends tease that I'm a cross between a dirty old lady and a mother hen, Zaarites seem to bear with me. I think I love going to restaurants more because of reading the menus than eating the food. My best-friend says when I die I'm going to go to the big menu in the sky! .....2/25/10.....<a href="http://www.amazingcounter.com"><img border="0" src="http://cb.amazingcounters.com/counter.php?i=2776320&c=8329273" alt="Web Counter"></a><a href="http://www.onlinecomputercoupons.com/dell-electronics.htm">.....Cheap Digital Camera</a> <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w115/bugh8er/food%20and%20swaps/candy6.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/vjuhl/MEPcookathon.jpg"><img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r271/copperhorse58/Zaar%20Food%20Photos/Food%20Photos%202008/herbspicesticker.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj294/QueenBee49444/ZaarCasseroleDishes.jpg" border="0" alt="Zaar friends"> <a href="http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?p=3510511#3510511"><img src="http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/vseward/Bevy/officialmemberofthebevtaggame.jpg"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/BBQParticipantBanner-Final.jpg"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Octoberevent.jpg"> <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1535/CLC2.gif"> <a href=http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=119602 target="_blank"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC9-Mareeseme.jpg"></a><img src="http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj240/marienixon_715/kittencaljpg.jpg"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Derfcookathon.jpg"> <img src="http://www.pickle.com/plink/ph/795B07337A4704307B51032E7C590636795E1C512307476E143E5A652E076C347C5F02307A5F0032140741682C4659712C.jpg" border="0" alt="coolmonday-particiation" title="Photo and Video Sharing"/> <img src="http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e347/Saturn6666/Other/tagforpage1.jpg"> Sharon123: <a href="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/calendar%20clips/347_Sharon123.jpg"target="_blank"><img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/calendar%20clips/347_Sharon123.jpg"border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>