Barbara's Hot Salsa
photo by Sweetiebarbara
- Ready In:
7 pint jars
- 1 lime, juice of
- 6 tomatoes (peeled and diced)
- 2 onions (diced)
- 3 jalapeno peppers (thinly sliced, two green, one red2 serano peppers)
- 4 hot peppers (tabasco)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cumin (freshly ground)
- 1 tablespoon coriander (freshly ground)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- sprinkle salt in bottom of crock.
- Add tomatoes, onions, peppers, sugar, spices, and lime juice.
- Daily, sprinkle just a little salt into crock and stir.
- On the 4th or 5th day, pack (what has not been consumed) into hot sterile pint jars.
- Process in boiling hot water bath for 10 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Nice recipe! I used to make a very similar salsa, put it up in canning jars and pass them out as Christmas presents. I too added a small amount of sugar. This essential addition cuts a bit of the natural acids of the tomatoes without adding any noticeable sweetness. Remember to wear gloves when working with raw peppers. You may regret it if you don't!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia with my husband and our cat, Lizzie Borden. We had a wonderful dog, and now have 3 more cats to keep us company.