Bangin' Beef Stew
photo by southbaker
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
1 1/3 cups
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 1⁄2 cups halved mushrooms or 8 ounces mushrooms
- 2 cups diagonally cut carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup cabernet sauvignon wine or 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook 5 minutes browning on all sides, remove from pan.
- Add mushrooms, carrots, onion, celery and garlic, cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Return beef to pan.
- Stir in water, red wine, salt, thyme, pepper, tomatoes, and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.
- Stir in olives and cook 30 minutes or until beef is tender.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Stir in vinegar and sprinkle with parsley.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!