Baked Rigatoni Bolognese
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
1 13 x 9" baking dish
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely minced
- 1 small carrot, finely minced
- 1 small celery, finely minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground veal
- 1⁄4 lb pancetta or 1/4 lb Canadian bacon, chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups canned italian tomatoes with juice, put through food mill
- 2 cups chicken broth
- salt, fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
To complete dish
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs rigatoni pasta
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 -3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut in pieces
- Heat butter and oil in large skillet over med.-high heat. When butter foams, add onion, carrot, celery, cook, stirring until veggies lightly golden and soft, 4-5 minute
- Add veal and pancetta, cook, stirring, until meat lightly colored, 5-6 minute.
- Raise heat to high and add wine. Cook until wine almost all reduced, 3-4 minute
- Add tomatoes and broth, and season with salt and pepper. Bring sauce to boil. Reduce heat to low and cover skillet with lid slightly askew. Cook 1 to 1-1/2 hours, or until sauce has med.-thick consistency. Stir a few times during cooking.
- Heat milk in small saucepan over low heat.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over med.-low heat. When butter foams, add flour and stir 2-3 minute without letting flour turn brown.
- Add milk to butter all at once and mix quickly. Season with salt and cook, mixing constantly, until sauce has med.-thick consistency and is smooth and velvety, 3-5 minute (If too thick add bit more milk).
- Remove from heat, cover pan, refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven 400°F Generously butter large deep baking dish.
- Bring large pot of water to boil. Add salt and Rigatoni. Cook, uncovered, until tender, but firm to bite. Drain pasta and place in large bowl.
- Add meat sauce, 1 cup béchamel and 1/3 cup cheese. Mix thoroughly and place in baking dish. Top with Béchamel and sprinkle cheese over top, dot with butter.
- Bake 10-15 min., or until cheese melted and pasta nice golden color.
- Meat sauce day ahead. Reheat when ready to use.
- Béchamel few hours ahead.
- Pasta cooked and assembled with sauces one hour ahead.
- Bake just before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!