Baked Plantain Fries
photo by flower7
- Ready In:
- 2 plantains (yellow)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut the Plantains into the shape of fries.
- Spread fries on a baking sheet.
- Brush fries with olive oil.
- Combine salt, garlic powder, ground coriander, and cayenne pepper; Sprinkle mixture on fries.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. turning them over about after 10 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These are awesome! I was really surprised how much I enjoyed these in comparison to potato fries. I halved the recipe and definitely did use the cayenne. Baked on parchment for ease of turning and clean up. Wasn't sure what to serve with but turned out plain old ketchup was pretty yummy to dip them in! Thanks for sharing! [Made for Spring 2013 Pick A Chef]
Juicy, scrumptious and healthy! wow! im still baffeled by the fact that I haven't tried plantain like this, an alternative to frying and an ultimate alternative to French fries. With a combination of sweet potato fries, this was just heavenly. Tip- When you have very ripe plaintain, it won't require much seasoning, just a bit of salt would do.
Thank you so much for sharing this recipe KUW. I have made them twice already. I love plantains and this is a wonderful way to showcase them. They were wonderful. Tasted just like french fries, but you could definitely taste the plantain. They were so easy to make. I did prefer the ones that I cut thicker into wedges, rather than the shoestring size, they were crispy yet tender. Such a lovely spicy flavor, I did use the optional cayenne pepper and then garnished with sea salt, fresh ground pepper and ketchup. Made for Best of 2013.