- Ready In:
- 3hrs 40mins
- 3 -4 lbs whole pike, cleaned (leave on head and tail)
- 8 slices dry bread
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 cup tomatoes, cooked (canned is fine)
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 6 bay leaves
- lemon, for garnish
- parsley, for garnish
- Rub fish with salt and chill for 3 hours.
- Soak bread in cold water until soft, press out water and add bacon fat, tomatoes and seasonings.
- Wash pike; stuff and fasten opening securely with toothpicks or lace with cooking string and dredge with flour.
- Preheat oven to 375F and grease a baking pan.
- Place fish in prepared baking pan with 3 bay leaves beneath and 3 on top.
- Bake, allowing about 10 minutes per pound for fish under 4 pounds.
- At the end of 15 minutes baking, sprinkle lightly with salt and paprika.
- Garnish with lemon wedges and parsley.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!