Baby Lima Beans With Tomatoes and Sage
Baby lima beans are a super source of fiber. In this recipe from Philadelphia chef Aliza Green, they're cooked with lots of garlic. Taken from the "Quick and Healthy Low Fat Cooking" cookbook.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 head garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen baby lima beans (partially thawed)
- 3⁄4 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Separate the garlic into individual cloves; peel and slice them.
- In a large heavy-botomed frying pan, combine the garlic, oil and sage.
- Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, or until the garlic begins to turn golden.
- Don't let the garlic burn or turn brown.
- Add the beans, tomatoes and water.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, or until thick.
- Season with the pepper.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Excellent recipe. I did not have fresh sage so used dried - still gave a lovely flavor. I cut the recipe back to 2 servings using 3 large cloves of garlic and a 1/2 tomato. Lima beans are so often overlooked and they are a delicious vegetable. Next time I will slip the outer skin off the lima beans it makes a difference to the flavor and is worth the effort Thanks jonesies for a keeperReply
see 2 more