Authentic Hawaiian Huli Huli Chicken
- Ready In:
- 2 quarts water
- 2 cups soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 4 chicken halves (about 8 pounds total)
- 2 1⁄4 cups pineapple juice
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons asian chili-garlic sauce (Sriracha Sauce)
- Brine chicken: Combine water and soy sauce in large bowl. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium high heat until shimmering. Add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in soy sauce mixture. Add chicken and refrigerate, covered, for at least one hour or up to eight hours, not longer cuz it will get salty.
- glaze: Combine pineapple juice, sugar, soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and chili garlic sauce in empty saucepan and bring boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until thick and syrupy (you should have about one cup), 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove chicken from brine and pat dry with paper towels. Arrange chicken skin side up on grill. Grill until well browned not burned, now flip with skin side down, and brown skin until done. Transfer chicken to platter, brush with half of glaze,(other half for dipping) and let rest 5 minutes.
Join The Conversation
I love huli-huli chicken, and this is a good one! The smell of this grilling is outstanding.. I only grill with charcoal, personal preference. I also tossed some soaked wood-chips on the coals for added smoky flavor. I usually use a spray bottle filled with what you use for glaze, but instead, followed your technique of reducing it down to a glaze and smearing it on when done. Awesome. I'll be making this again real soon, thanks..
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Cleveland Ohio and love food. I grew up in New Orleans and my recipes have a zesty flair. I also work alot with Italian and french foods. I love seafood and am working on my seafood recipes. If I run across anything great I will post it! <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">