Asparagus Flan With Cheese Sauce
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 2 lbs asparagus, trimmed
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1⁄4 lb italian fontina, rind discarded and cheese coarsely grated (or cut into 1/4-inch dice if too soft to grate)
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Make flan: Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 325°F.
- Butter an 8- by 2-inch round cake pan and line bottom with a round of wax paper, then butter paper.
- 3Steam asparagus in a steamer set over boiling water, covered, until very tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Purée asparagus in a food processor until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
- (You will have about 2 cups purée.) Whisk together eggs, milk, cheese, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in a bowl, then whisk in asparagus purée.
- Pour asparagus mixture into pan and bake in a hot water bath until flan is set and a wooden pick or skewer inserted in center comes out clean, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Transfer pan to a rack to cool slightly, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Make sauce while flan cools: Put all sauce ingredients in a metal bowl, then set bowl over a pan of barely simmering water.
- Heat sauce, whisking until cheese and butter are melted, and then stirring with a wooden spoon, until sauce is slightly thickened and registers 165°F on an instant-read thermometer, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Remove bowl from pan.
- Run a thin knife around edge of flan to loosen, then invert a serving plate over pan and invert flan onto plate.
- Remove pan and discard paper.
- Cut flan into wedges and serve immediately with sauce.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!