Arugula and Spinach Salad With Caramelized Shallots
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 ounces baby arugula, washed
- 2 1⁄2 ounces Baby Spinach, washed
- 3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- sea salt, to taste
- Warm 1 tablespoons olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add the sliced shallots and stir frequently for about 6 to 8 minutes or until golden.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for a further 2 minutes until gently browned.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, wash and dry the arugula and spinach and place in a medium bowl.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the vinegar, mustard and oregano in a small bowl.
- Continue whisking while slowly pouring in the 1/4 cup olive oil until well combined.
- Season with salt.
- Gently toss the greens with the cheese and vinaigrette to coat.
- Sprinkle with the caramelized shallots and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Loved the sweetness of the shallots. I don't know if I would have liked it as much if I didn't have the Sherry Wine Vinegar. I don't think other substitues would have measured up. I used the spinach arugula bagged salad from the store, so the 50/50 mix would have really made it fun. Will make it again... the hubby had 2nds which is almost unheard of for a salad.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live with my husband, four cats, and a sweet mutt named Jada in Scarborough, Ontario, where I work as an elementary school administrative assistant. I have a 31 year old daughter who lives with her boyfriend in nearby Don Mills, along with my sweet granddogs, Frankie and Turbo. I would have to say that my passion is animals, since I have so many of them! <br /><img src=http://images.quizilla.com/H/h0t5auce/1108834307_brown_answer.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/532663/cookswithcattitude.JPG alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r271/copperhorse58/CalendarGirlsSwap2009.jpg alt= /> <br /><br />If I had a month off work to do what I please, I would first catch up on my sleep and then just have fun - see a few movies and maybe take a couple of short trips - something that wouldn't break the bank - lol!</p>