Arroz Verde (Mexican Green Rice)
photo by teresas
- Ready In:
- 1 cup poblano chiles (fresh or roasted) or 1 cup bell pepper, minced (fresh or roasted)
- 2 cups rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, finely minced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add garlic and rice; saute for approximately 3 mnutes or until golden.
- To pot add broth, peppers, onions, cumin, salt, pepper.
- Cover; bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook until tender and all the liquid has absorbed (approximately 20 minutes).
- Stir in cilantro and garnish with chopped green onions.
- NOTE: If a smooth texture is preferred, puree the onion and chilis in a little broth before adding to the pot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Oh my! Quite delicioso! My advise is insisting on using poblano peppers in this since the flavor is so so so good. The rice as prepared was nice and fluffy and had the perfect proportion of cilantro. It was the first thing gone from my plate, and happily so. Made by a Saucy Senorita for ZWT5. Thanks for sharing!!!
This is awesome! The only thing I would do next time (yes! there will be a next time :)) is to add some roasted red peppers for color, not flavor. This is the cats "meow". I did roast the poblano pepper. This is a keeper. Thanks for posting. Oh! I cut the recipe in half and it makes at least 6 servings.
see 1 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside . . . Chardonnay in one hand . . .chocolate in the other; the body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"