Aromatic Basmati Rice With Apricots and Cashews
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups basmati rice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup roasted unsalted cashews, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped dried apricot
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro or 1/3 cup parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup turkey broth (optional) or 1/2 cup chicken broth (optional)
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat; add in the rice and decrease heat to medium.
- Boil, uncovered until the rice is barely tender, about 15 minutes; drain into a sieve and rinse under cold running water; place in a large bowl.
- In a big skillet, melt the butter over med-high heat; add in the onions and carrots; cook, stirring often, until the onions are golden brown, 10-12 minutes.
- Add the cardamom, ginger, cinnamon, turmeric, and cloves; stir until very fragrant, 15-30 seconds.
- Scrape the vegetables into the bowl of rice and mix.
- Stir in the cashews, apricots, cilantro, salt, and pepper; place in a lightly buttered baking dish, drizzle with the broth, cover, and bake in a preheated 350° oven for about 30 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!