Copycat Sweetgreen Spicy Thai Salad
photo by Jonathan Melendez
- Ready In:
- one package firm tofu (14-ounce, drained and patted dry, cut into four slices)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- kosher salt
- 1 lb oz shredded cabbage (Napa and or or red cabbage)
- 2 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced on the bias
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced on the bias
- kernels from 2 ear of corn
- 1⁄2 cup shaved coconut flakes, toasted
- basil leaves, for serving
- cilantro leaf, for serving
- lime wedge, for serving
Spicy Cashew Dressing
- 3⁄4 cup roasted cashews
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1⁄3 cup packed chopped cilantro leaf
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sambal oelek chili paste
- 3⁄4 teaspoon honey
- kosher salt
For the Salad:
- Preheat broiler.
- Place tofu slices on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle each slice with 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil and 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds. Season tops with salt. Transfer to broiler and cook until sesame seeds are toasted and tofu pieces are golden on the edges, about 8 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, cucumber, celery and corn. Toss with enough Spicy Cashew Dressing to coat and divide among 4 serving plates. Top with coconut, basil, cilantro and one piece of tofu. Serve with lime wedges and additional dressing.
For the Spicy Cashew Dressing:
- Combine cashews, olive oil, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, cilantro leaves, sambal, honey and 3 tablespoons water in the bowl of a blender. Alternatively, you can use a stick blender and put all ingredients in a glass measuring cup. Blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt. Dressing can be kept up to 1 week in the refrigerator.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!