Aretha Franklin's Queen of Soul Ham
photo by Jonorbeng
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 35mins
- 1 (12 -14 lb) fully cooked bone-in ham
- whole cloves
- 1 (16 ounce) box light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 (8 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained
- 1 (12 ounce) ginger ale (golden is best if you can find it ( but pale is ok too)
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple rings
- baker's coconut (to garnish) (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using a paring knife, score the ham, creating a diamond pattern. Insert cloves into the corners of each diamond.
- Place the ham on a rack set in a 12 x 15-inch roasting pan. Cover loosely with foil, and bake until ham appears juicy, about 30 minutes.
- Place brown sugar and mustard in a medium bowl, and stir to combine.
- Gradually add ginger ale to brown sugar mixture until a pourable consistency is achieved; you may not need the whole can.
- Remove ham from oven and remove foil. Pour brown sugar mixture over ham. Make sure you coat the sides too.
- Cover ham with foil, return to oven, and cook for 1 hour, basting every 20 minutes.
- Remove foil for last 20 minutes.
- Remove ham from oven.
- Arrange pineapple rings and maraschino cherries in a docorative pattern on ham, securing them with toothpicks.
- Baste the fruit.
- Bake ham until fruit is heated through, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle ham with coconut garnish, if desired.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Hi, My name is Adrienne (Chef #514761) and I live in Reisterstown, Maryland USA with my husband Keith. We are now empty nesters after having raised our son and daughter. I work as a university administrator. My interests include metaphysical study, Reiki, angels, faeries, paranormal phenomena, Tarot and more. I also enjoy reading, writing, graphics design and I cross stitch too. :) <br /> <br />Favorite Quote: <em>I have never been contained except I made the prison. - Mari Evans</em></p>