Apple Cranberry Crumb Pie
- Ready In:
- 1 prepared shortbread pie crust
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 4 cups baking apples, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) container crushed cranberry sauce
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven 375°F.
- Beat egg yolk and brush on crust. Bake at 375°F for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Saute apples until crisp-tender.
- NOTE: I found Ocean Spray Cranberry Fruit Sauce is the best.
- Combine cranberry sauce and cornstarch. Stir into apples. Spoon into prepared pie crust.
- For the topping: cut butter into sugar, flour and spices until coarse crumbs form. Stir in nuts. Sprinkle over apple filling. Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 40 minutes or until crust is toasted and filling begins to bubble. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I don't think there's anything better than spending time with family and friends and enjoying delicious food together. I just love food. I love reading about food, writing about food, cooking food and.. not surprisingly, eating food. My latest passion is food-photography! I'm still learning a lot, but I'm trying to post photos with all my recipes and reviews. I read recipe books, magazines and food blogs like novels. I get such satisfaction when someone enjoys a meal or dessert that I have prepared. It is the biggest compliment to me when my family and friends rave about my cooking. There are so many terrific recipes on this site. If I'm looking for something, I'm sure to find it here. I do have stacks of my own favorite recipes which I am slowly but surely getting in my cookbooks here . I have had so many awesome reviews and fabulous photos taken of my recipes... I try to thank everyone personally .. I sincerely appreciate each and every review and or comment left. I know it takes time to photograph and upload photos - So I want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for finding and trying my recipes and taking the extra effort...