Almond Shortbread Cookies
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup ground almonds (about 1/4 lb almonds with the skin on, Note, I chop mine into chunks first with a knife, then grind)
- 1 1 tablespoon grated orange zest (optional) or 1 tablespoon grated lime zest (optional)
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine butter, salt and sugar in mixer with paddle attachment.
- Add ground almonds and mix together.
- Mix into firm dough and form into 1 ¼ inch ball.
- Flatten with fingers.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes. Best if baked light brown, not dark and crispy.
- Cool on rack and dust with powdered sugar while still warm.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
First, these cookies are delicious. Second, the recipe doesnt say when to add the flour, so I added it with the ground almonds. I added a little orange extract since I had no zest. The cookies spread out alot, kind of like a lace cookie, and they are crumbly and delicats, so they were a little hard to handle, but quite delicious as I said. Maybe they would bake better to handle if I baked them in a square pan and cut into squares. Anyway loved the taste!! Thanks for the recipe.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a retired healthcare executive. My career was in Seattle and we are now on the other side of the state enjoying the four seasons. We do miss Seattle and the more moderate climate, but we don't miss the traffic and cost of living. Of course, our 5 feet of snow last winter made us (momentarily) quesiton our decision to move. I love collecting recipies and cooking "comfort food" on these cold winter days. I've been a zaar member since it started. I miss Troy and Gay, but love the site and the friends I have made on zaar.