Alice Pike's Famous Brownies
photo by Pamela
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 1⁄2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 7⁄8 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Chocolate Butter Icing
- 1⁄2 cup soft butter
- 3 cups icing sugar (divided)
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 -4 tablespoons milk (divided)
- For Brownies: In mixing bowl or food processor blend well, butter, sugar, cocoa, eggs and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add to cocoa mix.
- Bake in greased 8x8 square pan for 20-25 min at 350.
- Make them gooey-moist by taking them out just after the middle has puffed up or risen (which is the only way!) Leaving them in longer will give you a cake-like brownie.
- Meanwhile make icing.
- Allow to cool before icing or you can dust with icing sugar (shaken through a sieve).
- They are even good naked.
- For Chocolate Butter Icing: Cream butter with cocoa and 2 cups of icing sugar.
- Beat in 2 tsp vanilla, 2 TBSP milk and 1 cup of icing sugar.
- If needed, gradually add 1-2 TBSP milk until desired spreading consistency.
- Makes enough icing for 2 batches of brownies.
- Will keep in the fridge for a week.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
see 6 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Childhood Cancer Awareness Advocate and mom to sassy, smart 18 y/o DD and courageous, artsy 16 y/o DD who is a survivor of cancer and heart failure [caused by the chemo] and wife to steadfast, goofy husband. We are from Thunder Bay but at the moment are medically displaced in Toronto as my daughter needs to stick close to Sick Kids Hospital until she gets a new heart. After 18 months living at Ronald McDonald House we moved into a tiny, 2 bedroom apartment in the Village thanks to Maggie Q who is paying our rent! Life is tough but we will do whatever it takes to give our daughter a fighting chance at a long, normal life.</p>