Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Rosti and Zurich Veal are a matched pair. In Swiss restaurants you will rarely, if ever, get one without the other. Recipe by Sylvie at the Silver Spoon.
- 20 g white plain flour (1 ounce)
- 20 g butter (1 ounce)
- 600 g boneless veal steaks (1 1/4 pound)
- 250 g champignons button mushrooms (8 ounce)
- 1 onion
- 200 ml white wine (7 fl.oz.)
- 200 ml cream (7 fl.oz.)
- salt and pepper
- lemon juice
- First slice the veal steak into fine strips, discarding any fat or sinew.
- Finely chop the onion, and slice the button mushrooms.
- Knead the butter and flour together into a small ball (beurre manié).
- Slice the chives into small rings.
- In a very hot skillet or pan, brown the meat quickly, add the mushrooms and onions.
- Continue cooking for another 2 minutes.
- Pour all the white wine into the pan and leave it to deglaze the pan for a moment.
- Then slowly add the cream and the butter ball.
- Let the ball dissolve in the sauce and stir well.
- Take the pan off the heat, season to taste with salt and pepper and add a dash of lemon juice.
- Garnish with the sliced chives and serve immediately.
- Don't reheat or the sauce will separate.