Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a delicious tart that my grandmother, mother and father all make and I LOVE IT!!! It is made a lot in Argentina and I have brought it to my friends here in the US. You can either buy your own pie crust (not sweetened of course), make your own, or make the one I provide here.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions
- 1 1⁄2 kg zucchini or 5 medium zucchini
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- vegetable oil
- Steps 1-5 are for the Crust: On a flat, clean surface, pour the flour and make a small hole in the middle of the flour when you can pour the oil and water.
- Slowly, with your hands mix together the ingredients, moving the flour inwards to mix with the oil and water.
- If the dough is not the right consistency (if it is sticky or breaking apart), add in more water or oil as needed.
- Make into a ball and let the dough rest for 10 minutes before spreading onto pie sheet.
- Stretch the dough with a dough roller until thin (not too thin so it does not break) and place rolled out dough onto the pie baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 370 degrees.
- Chop the zuchinni and onions into thin slices to be cooked together on the stove. Heat up some oil on a pan and cook the zuchinni and onion together on low heat.
- Once they are cooked, turn up the hear on the stove so that the juice from the zuchinni evaporates. This mix should be releatively dry without much juice.
- After the zuchinni and onion are fully cooked, take them out of the stove and let cool for ten minutes.
- Once cooled, add the cheese and eggs into the zuchinni mixture. Also, add the salt and pepper and the nutmeg. You can add more nutmeg to taste but be careful not to add too much as this can be quite strong. Mix all of these ingredients together well.
- Let cool and once the mixture is nice and cool, add the mixture onto the pie baking sheet and top the pie with another layer of pie dough.
- Paint the top of the pie with a beated egg and poke the pie several times with a fork so that it does not explode in the oven.
- Place in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the crust has browned.
- Let the pie cool for 30-45 minutes before serving.