Recipe by Julie in TX
Got some zucchini that you need to use? This is the dish for you. I originally saw this recipe in Southern Living Magazine and then couldn't find the magazine when I wanted to cook it. I remembered basically what the ingredients were, just not the amounts. With some experimentation, I created a dish that tastes pretty delish! It's one of those dishes that makes people go back for seconds. Frying the zucchini before adding it to the casserole, helps to seal the moisture inside.
Top Review by Susie in Texas
Julie, this stuff ROCKS!!! My son who hates zucchini and tomatoes even ate it and went back for seconds!!! The recipe is not hard to put together and the ingredients are things I usually have on hand. It took exactly 30 minutes in the oven. I covered the dish with foil for the first 15 minutes and then removed it for the remainder. Delicious! Even if you don't like zucchini you have got to try this one. Thanks, Julie
- 2 lbs zucchini
- 6 roma tomatoes
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried sweet basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice zucchini into 1/4 inch slices.
- Put flour in a zip lock bag and add sliced zucchini.
- Shake until zucchini is lightly coated.
- Pour 1/4 inch olive oil into a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Brown zucchini on both sides until lightly brown.
- Drain on paper towels& let cool.
- Combine sour cream, basil, oregano, garlic powder& salt.
- Slice tomatoes.
- Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Put a layer of zucchini in the bottom of the dish.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup parmesan cheese on top.
- Add a layer of sliced tomatoes.
- Spread 1/2 sour cream mixture on top of tomatoes.
- Add 1/2 mozzarella cheese on top of sour cream.
- Repeat layers ending with mozzarella cheese.
- Put in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until it bubbles and the cheese is melted and lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and let it sit for a few minutes before serving.