Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
With all my zucchinis in the garden after make my habanaro jam I did some research and came up with this one.Try this on a grilled tuna steak, grilled chicken, toss some into a salad dressing or spread on some cream cheese.... You can peel and add yellow food coloring for eye appeal. I myself like the nutrition of the skin.
- 2 lbs seeded and cubed zucchini
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1 -3 ounce crystallized ginger (use more if you like more kick less if you don`t!I myself like a lot!)
- 5 cups sugar
- 6 ounces of ball fruit jell or 6 ounces Certo (liquid pectin)
- 1 (6 ounce) box pineapple Jell-O
- Place zucchini, pineapples, and crystallized ginger in a food processor and puree.
- Add to a heavy bottom pot with sugar and boil for 20 minutes. That`s a rolling boil.
- Stirring all the while.
- Add Certo and bring to a full rolling boil for 1 more minute add jello and stir to blend.
- Fill 4-1 pint jars or 8 1/2 pint jars.I like to do the 8 jars because there would be more to give as gifts.
- Process in a water bath for 10 minutes.
I made this recipe. Next time I would definately add more ginger and omit the jello. The jam tasted great until I put in the jello which upped the sweetness to a whole new level and made it way too sweet. I had to add some lemon juice to try and balance things out. I also used Balls powder pectin as its all our local grocery store had available. I'm more comfortable with using powder pectin anyway...never had a bad experience with it. Have heard stories about the liquid pectin not jelling properly. Something to keep in mind...
Just fab! I've made it before without the ginger and... after trying this recipe, I'll never go back to the ordinary. Thanks for taking the load off the zucchini crop. Next time I'll cut back on the sugar also, just a little sweet for us. Maryanne
I used fresh ginger and also added a bit of ground mustard and turmeric to give the jam a bit more kick. Terrific recipe - great glaze on grilled fish served over rice!