Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a great vegetarian pancake, easy to make and is delicious. This recipe was passed to my Mother over 100 years ago and has been a favorite of the families.
- 2 cups finely shredded fresh zucchini (, 2 - 8-inch zucchini required)
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter (, for rub) or 1⁄4 cup melted margarine (, for rub)
- Wash and shred zucchini on a fine shredder (DO NOT PEEL).
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs; add shredded zucchini and mix well using a fork.
- Add flour, sugar, salt and olive oil and stir well to blend.
- Finally, add baking powder and mix using a spoon (Batter consistency should be like heavy whipping cream).
- Preheat griddle to 425- 450°F.
- If using a heavy duty frying pan, heat to medium-high heat; adjust heat if necessary.
- Rub grill or frying pan with oil before cooking each batch of pancakes.
- Spoon batter onto hot griddle (about 2 tablespoons for each pancake).
- Cook until bubbles on the top of the pancake almost stop, about 1 1/2 minutes; turn pancake over and continue to cook for another 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until pancakes are done.
- When done, rub pancakes with melted butter and place in a preheated 250 F oven to keep warm until the remainder are cooked, or serve immediately.
- Serve with your choice of jams or syrups.
- Also very good with sour cream or yogurt along with your choice of jams or syrups, or you can eat them just plain.
- These pancakes are delicious for breakfast, brunch or just as a snack anytime.
This recipe is really good. You can have them plain, with sour cream or ranch dressing on top. I tried a couple with a bit of grated carrott in the batter too with wonderful results. These make a great side dish, meal or breakfast.
YUM!! What a pleasant surprise these were! They're not exactly like regular pancakes, but not like potato pancakes either. Very good! I upped the salt to 3/4t, but otherwise no changes. I'm sure these would be good with some of the toppings folks mentioned in other reviews, but honestly my family grabs them as soon as they come off of the griddle! Thanks for sharing!
Both my kids (4 and 7) loved these. We ate some with butter and strawberry jelly and some with maple syrup. They were a big hit.